AHCCCS covers NEMT to or from the closest appropriate AHCCCS registered provider, when a member is not able to find his/her own transportation. For NEMT services on and after May 1, 2019, the following also apply:
For members living in Maricopa and Pima Counties:
- NEMT services to and from a pharmacy are only covered for trips within 15 miles of the pick-up location, except for trips to (1) compounding or specialty pharmacies and (2) pharmacies in an MSIC or IHS/638 facilities.
- The 15 miles is calculated from the pick-up location to the drop-off location, for one direction.
- Trips to compounding or specialty pharmacies over 15 miles may be covered if your health plan gives prior authorization for the transportation.
- Trips to a pharmacy in an MSIC or IHS/638 facility, can go over 15 miles without getting a prior authorization from your health plan.
- The 15 mile distance does not apply to members who do not live in Maricopa or Pima County.
If you need a ride to an appointment, ask a friend, family member or neighbor first. If you cannot get a ride we can help you.
Call our Customer Care Center and select the transportation option. Call at least 72 hours before your scheduled visit. Same day transports may not always be available. Call in advance due to the number of transportation vehicles in all counties.
On weekends and holidays, you can call our Customer Care Center for taxi rides to urgent care centers when you are sick. Always remember to dial 911 if it is a medical emergency.